Wednesday, October 5th
Block rotation: 1122
1. Grads and grade 11's..Are you interested in finding more information on taking the next step to college and University? It's not so daunting, so come out to BC Colleges and University night on Wednesday October 19th from 7- 8:30 pm in the gym. Bring your parents to this informative evening where admissions officers will answer questions on programs campus living, housing, applications and entrance scholarships. See counsellors for any details.
2. Created by L.V. Rogers' graduates, High school Transitions is a new student run initiative that aims to give support to high school students who will soon be moving on to new stages in their life. Their goal is to create a network of LVR alumni who will serve as mentors to current LVR students, giving support and advice to smooth their transitions into postsecondary life. For now, they are using a Facebook page as a platform to share information about university and scholarship applications, volunteering and student leadership opportunities, and travel options. They are happy to answer any questions you may have - so please do ask! Either send a private message or post on the Facebook wall. They will then set you up with the mentor who is most qualified to give you support and advice for the question you are asking.
3. Deadline for photos has been extended to Friday, Oct. 7th, which is also retake day! If you want retakes, please pick up a form in the office. Note that pre-payment is required for retakes.
4. Boys soccer practice today after school at 4pm at Lakeside park. That's Lakeside park not at the school. Practice starts at 4 to give you time to walk down to the field at Lakeside. You have a two games this Friday at 12 noon and 4pm.
5. All Grade 12 students interested in applying for the Loran scholarship direct pool. Please send an email to Mr. Machado and Mrs. Malloff briefly explaining why you have the qualities of a Loran scholar. Deadline is today.
6. Our LVR cross country runners had some great results in Salmo last night. In the Sr. Girls division, Emily Taylor finished first with Julia Burkart close behind in second. Keiran Marchand placed 2nd for the Sr. Boys. And our Junior girls had great races too, with Sophie Edney placing 2nd, Mikyla Bergman placing 4th and Bethany Pardoe finishing in 7th place. Congratulations to all of our Bomber runners!
7. The first fundraiser is now on. Presale grocery gift cards to help finance your graduation festivities (for example the prom). Order forms will be available at the office or download from the Grad section on the LVR school webpage. Local grocery stores provide a percentage discount based on total sales at no extra cost. Supports can purchase a $25 gift card for $25. Order forms and all money are due to the office by 3:00 pm on Tuesday October 18. Late orders will not be accepted. Please note this is a presale and money must accompany the order forms.
8. Teen Time at the Nelson Library! Tomorrow from 3:30-4:30 Make a Magic 8 Ball. Free drop-in. Supplies and snacks provided.
9. Any students who have not yet received their photo package, please come to the office and pick it up.
10. If any grade 9 or 10's are interested in playing squash this year there will be a meeting at lunch today in room 300. There is a new pro in town and he will be running an LVR group on Thursdays at 4. Grade 11 and 12's are also welcome to try it out and if there is enough interest we will get two groups going. Here is a short video of what it looks like.
11. Applications for Rotary exchange are due into the office by Friday Oct 14th. If you did not attend the information night, applications are available at the school office or, go on rotary exchange 5080 website to find out more information. Interviews for outbound students for next year will be held on Thursday night Oct 20th in the multi-purpose room.