Thursday May 5
Block order: 2211
1.Today at lunch, drop by the mental health table for a yummy snack or to enjoy some jamming. Today's theme is supportive factors for health, come eat or sing and fill out a reflection to enter your name in Friday's draw prizes. Big thanks to the sponsors including tickets from Whitewater, Nelson Civic Theatre, Cube Climbing, Nelson & District recreation center as well as swag from Sacred Ride, Valhalla Pure, Cowans, Gaia Rising, Wildwoods, NDCU and our own LVR Art department
2. Paddlers needed to represent the Kootenays at the BC Summer Games for Canoe Kayak in Abbotsford July 21 - 24. Athletes must be born in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 or 2004 to participate. For more information check us out on Facebook at Nelson Kayak & Canoe Club Sprint team!
3. At the Civic Theatre this weekend The new Captian America Film. We have a pair of tickets to give away. Come and see Jones and tell her what the name of the film is.
4. The Nelson Public Library is hosting a poetry workshop for teens (ages 12-19) on May 5th from 3:30 to 5:00pm. Local writer Rayya Liebich will be teaching the free workshop. There is no need to register. Join us for an afternoon that includes snacks, creativity and poetry.
Big news! Did you know that Area E students can now get a free library card? It is true! Come on in to the library and we will hook you up with the new Student Access card. Any questions contact Melodie Rae email@example.com.
5. "The Greater Victoria Youth Orchestra gala event is almost here and the billets arrive on Wednesday. Come on out to our gala event on May 6 at 7:30pm showcasing the Greater Victoria Youth Orchestra, and LVR and Trafalgar bands. Experience Hungarian folk songs, sparkling orchestral gems and a new work and symphonic poem, commissioned by the Orchestra and composed by GVYO alumnus, Brandon Chow. The night will continue with the GVYO as they bring together Concert Band ensembles from, LV Rogers and Trafalgar in a moving mass orchestra with almost 200 youth making music together. Join us and both Deb Kozak, the Mayor of Nelson, and Michelle Mungall, MLA for Nelson-Creston who will kindly open the event. Proceeds from the concert go to raise funds for instrument upgrades for the Nelson band programs from Grades 6-12."
6. The Grad Class of 2016 is having their last grocery card fundraiser of the year right now. Every dollar you spend you get back in grocery cards, so it costs you nothing but raises a lot money! Please help us out and order grocery cards - we have them for Save-On-Foods, Safeway, and the Kootenay Co-op. You can download the order form from the LVR website, order from the students, or pick up a form in the LVR office.
7. This Friday May 6th the Nelson Youth Center will be hosting a skate board competition in honour of BC's youth week. It runs from 4:00 to 9:00pm and is open to anyone 12 and up! There will be food, a live DJ and dancing. This is a free event so come support your youth!
8.There will be a mock English AP test today after school starting at 3:30 in room 309.
9. Selfie challenge! Which grade will send the most selfies to the yearbook club? Don't let the other grades beat you - get your friends together and take some pics! Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Ryan Cavicchi on Facebook.
10. Grads-please note that the 2016 Graduation Ceremony "Say Somethings" are now available online. Go to our LVR website under Grad Bulletin to find the online form.Say Somethings are what will be said about you as you cross the stage at the 2016 Commencement Ceremony. For more information, or to pick up a paper copy, see Ms. Malloff. Due date for Say Somethings is Friday, May 20th.