Tuesday, May 25th
Block order: 2211
1. The STORM is approaching! It is that time of year again where the rec leadership class challenges you and your friends to the ultimate team work challenge. Sign up with 6 of your friends to compete against your peers in a race that will test your group. There are prizes to be won!! Storm will be happening on Wednesday June 1st so sign up now on the trophy case. there is limited space and no drop-ins!
2. You have a once in a lifetime opportunity to have your voice heard on Canada's plan to tackle the climate crisis.The Kootenay-Columbia MP, Wayne Stetski, has announced a Climate Action Town Hall in Nelson tomorrow from 6:30 to 9:00pm at the Prestige Lakeside Hotel. This town hall will collect our community's input for Canada's climate plan.
3. Any students in grades 9-12 who signed up for the Dance Company 2016/2017 season, or who wanted to sign up for next year's Dance Company should see Ms. MacMillan in the theatre today at lunch. This course is designed for intermediate and advanced dancers in Grades 9-12 and is attached to four graduation credits in grades 10-12. This performance based ensemble will create new works, tour and attend workshops, festivals and competitions. Students will be responsible for production tasks throughout the year. For more information on this, or any other dance course offered in the school, please go to www.lvrdance.com or see Ms. MacMillan in the theatre.
4. The Global Perspectives class will be hosting a dinner where the proceeds go towards an impoverished village in Kenya. This dinner will be at the Rod N Gun club on Saturday May 28 starting at 6 pm. they are looking for any volunteers willing to help with things like cleaning up. If you would like to help out with this event please contact Hailey Poznikoff
5.Spirit Week is happening this week starting today! Today is Retro day so dress, act and strut your most retro style! There will also be dodge ball happening at 11:40 in the gym today to celebrate our school spirit!
Tomorrow is Rainbow day so dress up in your flashiest rainbow colours and rock that LVRogers Pride! There will also be an obstacle course set up tomorrow at lunch. Join us in your rainbow colours for a chance to win amazing prizes along with fame and glory! Come on out at lunch today and tomorrow and show some of that sweet Bombers pride! Go Bombers!
And now here's a short promo video for the events...
6. This week coming week at the civic theatre.
Hello, My Name is Doris
Fri. May 27 showtimes @ 7:00, Sat. May 28 @ 9:00,and Sun. May 29 @ 6:45
Sing Street show times
Fri. May 27 @ 9:00, Sat. May 28 @ 7:00, and Tues. May 31 @ 7:00
Our Last Tango show time
Sun. May 29 @ 4pm
Lucia Di Lammermoor show time
Wed. June 1 @ 7pm
and Miles Ahead showtimes
Mon. May 30 @ 7:30pm & Thurs. June 2 @ 7:30pm
7 . All students who worked with Tara Cunningham and Kootenay Mountain Culture Magazine are to meet in Ms. Kroker's room #309 at 11:35 on Friday to get your photo taken
8. Our Boy's Rugby Team is playing in the semi-finals at the provincials today. This is the first time our rugby team has made it this far at provincials. Let's all wish them luck!
9. If you are interested in joining a fundraiser to help the Malala fund come talk to Ms. Hewson or Andriana Bergman. The event is a walk, bike, run on May 28th. If you do not want to join the event you can still donate, 2 dollars goes a long way! All the funds will be going towards the Malala fund to educate girls in Pakistan.
10. There will free tutoring at the NDYC from 4:00pm to 6:00pm, for the next 5 weeks. Tutoring will mainly include math but can also include French and intro Physics. Students who would like to attend must bring their own material. For more info and to apply email: email@example.com please include what area you need help in.
11. There will be a one day Emergency First Aid course customized for adventurous youth in Nelson on Monday, May 30 (Pro-D). This Canadian Red Cross course is recognized across the country and includes CPR-A, certification is good for three years. The focus is on injury prevention and being prepared to act if something goes wrong. Cost is $105 and includes a full colour book and all materials. For more information or to register contact Darcey Lutz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
12. The Nelson and District Women's Centre, requires a Community Outreach Coordinator for 30 hours per week. n order to qualify for this job position, you must have been registered as a full-time student this past academic year and you must intend to return to school next year. Those between the ages of 17 and 30 years are eligible to apply for this position. This temporary employee position will commence on 15 June until 30 August 2016 with a rate of pay of $10.45 per hour. Applications will be accepted by email at email@example.com or in person to 420 Mill Street, Nelson BC, V1L 4R9.
13.Last call for Yearbooks! Order your yearbook before May 31 - If you don't order one, you won't get one! See Lorie Buss in the office to order your book for only $40.
14. The medical professional will have the Wellness Clinic open on this coming Wednesday, June 1st from 10:45 -12:15. She is able to diagnose regular medical conditions, write or refill prescriptions, supply condoms and morning after pills, make referrals to specialists and mental health support.