Wednesday, May 4th
Block order: 4433
1. Due to today's staff meeting, there will be no archery club today. Next session will be next Wednesday. If you would like to give archery a try, show up next Wednesday at 3:30 in the gym.
2. Paddlers needed to represent the Kootenays at the BC Summer Games for Canoe Kayak in Abbotsford July 21 - 24. Athletes must be born in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 or 2004 to participate. For more information check us out on Facebook at Nelson Kayak & Canoe Club Sprint team!
3. Come join Todd Kettner and Jamie Jenkins at lunch for information or to pose questions at the wellness table in the hall. In the spirit of mental wellness/health week do a reflection and enter your name in a draw for prizes on Friday.
4. The Nelson Public Library is hosting a poetry workshop for teens (ages 12-19) on May 5th from 3:30 to 5:00pm. Local writer Rayya Liebich will be teaching the free workshop. There is no need to register. Join us for an afternoon that includes snacks, creativity and poetry.
Big news! Did you know that Area E students can now get a free library card? It is true! Come on in to the library and we will hook you up with the new Student Access card. Any questions contact Melodie Rae email@example.com.
5. The LVR and Trafalgar concert bands are playing this Friday at 7:30pm in the gym. They have worked hard on their pieces that have been polished since returning from their tours in Whistler and Sun Peaks. Proceeds from the concert will help to replace instruments - some of which have not been replaced in years! Tickets can be bought from the school office, band students or at the door. The youth orchestra from Victoria are also playing, making for an amazing evening of music from talented young people.
6. The Grad Class of 2016 is having their last grocery card fundraiser of the year right now. Every dollar you spend you get back in grocery cards, so it costs you nothing but raises a lot money! Please help us out and order grocery cards - we have them for Save-On-Foods, Safeway, and the Kootenay Co-op. You can download the order form from the LVR website, order from the students, or pick up a form in the LVR office.
7. This Friday May 6th the Nelson Youth Center will be hosting a skate board competition in honour of BC's youth week. It runs from 4:00 to 9:00pm and is open to anyone 12 and up! There will be food, a live DJ and dancing. This is a free event so come support your youth!
8.There will be a mock English AP test Thursday after school starting at 3:30 in room 309.
9. Selfie challenge! Which grade will send the most selfies to the yearbook club? Don't let the other grades beat you - get your friends together and take some pics! Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Ryan Cavicchi on Facebook.
10. Grads-please note that the 2016 Graduation Ceremony "Say Somethings" are now available online. Go to our LVR website under Grad Bulletin to find the online form.Say Somethings are what will be said about you as you cross the stage at the 2016 Commencement Ceremony. For more information, or to pick up a paper copy, see Ms. Malloff. Due date for Say Somethings is Friday, May 20th.
11. Any parents that are interested in learning more about how to support their children through the transition from high school to post secondary, please attend the student run presentation tonight. Current LVR students and recent graduates will share advice and stories about how to better prepare for this busy part of life. The presentation will be held in the LVR library at 7:30 PM tonight.
12.It was A perfect record for the LVR Senior Girls Soccer Team at kSS in Kelowna this past weekend, winning all 4 gamesi! LVR opened the tournament with a 4-1 win over Mount Boucherie of Kelowna. Emma Wheeldon, Emily Taylor, Maddie Sternloff and Camille Gebhart scored for LVR. In its second game, LVR took on an over-matched side from Williams Lake. The final score in that game was 11-1. Amy Hodgeson led the way with three goals, Halloran added two more and singles went to Wheeldon, Sternloff, Perkins, Taylor Zimmer, Darian Voisard and Hanna Quinn. LVR faced off against Rutland in its third game, but two early injuries decimated Rutland, who had no subs and had to play most of the game down two players. The final score in that game was 6-nil. Perkins had a pair, while Wheeldon, Sternloff, Reece Hunt and Allie Zondervan all had singles. The final game for the tournament on Saturday afternoon, pitted the only two undefeated teams again each other. LVR defeated the home team KSS 3 to 1. For LVR it was payback for a heartbreaking 2-1 loss on penalties at the same tournament a year earlier. The defense lead by captain Kira Burkart were solid and keeper Hanna Quin was stingy in the net only allowing 1 goal in 4 games. This tournament caps a remarkable start to the season for the Bombers, who now sit 8-0 for the season.